Labour Economics and Social Policy:
Research publications produced over the past three years by the Melbourne Institute’s Labour Economics and Social Policy research program.
Refereed Journal Articles
- Azpitarte F. 2014. Was pro-poor economic growth in Australia for the income-poor? And for the multidimensionally-poor? Social Indicators Research, vol. 117, no. 3, pp. 871–905.
- Azpitarte F & Alonso-Villar O. 2014. Ray-Invariant Intermediate Inequality Measures: a Lorenz Dominance Criterion. Research on Economic Inequality. 22: 401–420.
- Azpitarte F & Hérault N. 2016. Understanding Changes in the Distribution and Redistribution of Income: A Unifying Decomposition Framework. Review of Income and Wealth. 62(2): 266–282.
- Barón J, Cobb-Clark D & Erkal N. 2015. Welfare receipt and the intergenerational transmission of work-welfare norms. Southern Economic Journal. 82(1): 208–234.
- Behaghel L & Moschion J. 2016. T-based Technical Change and Job Instability. Scandinavian Journal of Economics. 118(1): 79–104.
- Caliendo M, Cobb-Clark D & Uhlendorff A. 2015. Locus of Control and Job Search Strategies. Review of Economics and Statistics. 97(1): 88–103.
- Cobb-Clark D. 2015. Locus of control and the labour market. IZA Journal of Labor Economics. 4: 3.
- Cobb-Clark D, Hérault N, Scutella R & Tseng Y-P. 2016. A journey home: What drives how long people are homeless? Journal of Urban Economics. 91: 57–72.
- Creedy J & Hérault N. 2015. Decomposing Inequality Changes: Allowing for Leisure in the Evaluation of Tax and Transfer Policy Effects. Fiscal Studies. 36(2): 157–180.
- Gregg P, Scutella R & Vittori C. 2015. Individual Earnings Mobility and the Persistence of Earnings Inequalities in Australia. Economic Record. 91: 16–37.
- Hanel B, Kalb G, & Scott A. 2014. Nurses’ labour supply elasticities: The importance of accounting for extensive margins. Journal of Health Economics. 33: 94–112.
- Hérault N & Azpitarte F. 2015. Recent Trends in Income Redistribution in Australia: Can Changes in the Tax-Benefit System Account for the Decline in Redistribution? Economic Record. 91: 38–53.
- Hérault N & Azpitarte F. 2016. Understanding Changes in the Distribution and Redistribution of Income: A Unifying Decomposition Framework. Review of Income and Wealth. 62(2): 266–282.
- Hérault N & Kalb G. 2016. Intergenerational Correlation of Labor Market Outcomes. Review of Economics of the Household. 14(1): 231–249.
- Hérault N, Kalb G & Zakirova R. 2015. A Study into the Persistence of Living in a Jobless Household. Economic Record. 91(293): 209–232.
- Hérault N & Zakirova R. 2015. Returns to Education: Accounting for Enrolment and Completion Effects. Education Economics. 23(1): 84–100.
- Hunter B, Kalb G & Le T. 2014. Do age and experiences always go together? The example of Indigenous employment. Australian Journal of Labour Economics. 17(2): 67–85.
- Jordan B, Tseng Y-P, Coombs N, Kennedy A & Borland J. 2014. Improving lifetime trajectories for vulnerable young children and families living with significant stress and social disadvantage: The early years education program randomised controlled trial. BMC Public Health. 14: 965.
- Kalb G, Le T, Hunter B & Leung F. 2014. Identifying Important Factors for Closing the Gap in Labour Force Status between Indigenous and Non-Indigenous Australians. Economic Record. 90(291): 536–550.
- Kalb G, Le T & Leung F. 2015. Outcomes for Teenage Mothers in the First Years after Birth. Australian Journal of Labour Economics. 18(3): 255–279.
- Kalb G & van Ours JC. 2014. Reading to young children: A head-start in life? Economics of Education Review. 40: 1–24.
- McVicar D, Moschion J & van Ours J. 2015. From substance use to homelessness or vice versa? Social Science & Medicine. 136-137(July): 89–98.
- Moschion J & Tabasso D. 2014. Trust of Second Generation Immigrants: Intergenerational Transmission or Cultural Assimilation? IZA Journal of Migration. 3: 10.
- Van de Ven, J & Voitchovsky S. 2016. Skilled migrants and labour market integration: how important is the selection process?. IZA Journal of Migration. 4(1): 1–28.
What are Best-Practice Programs for Jobseekers Facing High Barriers to Employment?
Jeff Borland, Mark Considine, Guyonne Kalb, David Ribar (June, 2016)
- What are Best-Practice Programs for Jobseekers Facing High Barriers to Employment?
Students Are Almost as Effective as Professors in University Teaching
Jan Feld, Nicolas Salamanca, Ulf Zölitz (2017)
The Bilateral Relationship between Depressive Symptoms and Employment Status
Melisa Bubonya, Deborah A. Cobb-Clark, David C. Ribar (2017)
Childcare Use and Its Role in Indigenous Child Development: Evidence from the Longitudinal Study of Indigenous Children in Australia
Francisco Azpitarte Raposeiras, Abraham Chigavazira, Guyonne Kalb, Brad M. Farrant, Francisco Perales, Stephen R. Zubrick (2016)
Do Financial Incentives Influence GPs’ Decisions to Do After-Hours Work? A Discrete Choice Labour Supply Model
Barbara Broadway, Guyonne Kalb, Jinhu Li, Anthony Scott (2016)
The Impact of Paid Parental Leave on Labour Supply and Employment Outcomes
Barbara Broadway, Guyonne Kalb, Duncan McVicar, Bill Martin (2016)
Gender Gaps in Early Educational Achievement
Deborah A. Cobb-Clark, Julie Moschion (2015)
Robust Pro-Poorest Poverty Reduction with Counting Measures: The Anonymous Case
José V. Gallegos, Gastón Yalonetzky, Francisco Azpitarte (2015)
Reducing the Generosity and Increasing the Conditionality of Disability Benefits: Turning the Supertanker or Squeezing the Balloon?
Barbara Broadway, Duncan McVicar (2015)
What Factors Affect Doctors’ Hours Decisions: Comparing Structural Discrete Choice and Reduced-Form Approaches
Guyonne Kalb, Daniel Kuehnle, Anthony Scott, Terence Chai Cheng, Sung-Hee Jeon (2015)
The Effect of Paid Parental Leave on Child Health in Australia
Barbara Broadway, Guyonne Kalb, Daniel Kuehnle, Miriam Maeder (2015)
The Importance of Economic Expectations for Retirement Entry
Barbara Broadway, John P. Haisken-DeNew (2014)
Locus of Control and the Labor Market
Deborah A. Cobb-Clark (2014)
When General Skills Are Not Enough: The Influence of Recent Shifts in Australian Skilled Migration Policy on Migrant Employment Outcomes
Justin van de Ven, Sarah Voitchovsky, Hielke Buddelmeyer (2014)
Re-employment Expectations and the Eye of Providence
Sonja C. Kassenboehmer, Sonja G. Schatz (2014)
Outcomes for Teenage Mothers in the First Years after Birth
Guyonne Kalb, Trinh Le, Felix Leung (2014)
Identifying Tax Implicit Equivalence Scales
Justin van de Ven, Nicolas Herault, Francisco Azpitarte (2014)
Recent Trends in Income Redistribution in Australia: Can Changes in the Tax-Transfer System Account for the Decline in Redistribution?
Nicolas Herault, Francisco Azpitarte (2014)
- Students Are Almost as Effective as Professors in University Teaching