Economic and Social Disadvantage:
Research publications produced over the past three years by the Melbourne Institute’s Economic and Social Disadvantage research program.
Books and Book Chapters
- Gregory C, Rabbitt MP & Ribar DC. 2016. The Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program and Food Insecurity. In Bartfeld J, Gundersen C, Smeeding T. M and Ziliak J. P (eds), SNAP Matters, How Food Stamps Affect Health and Well-being. Stanford University Press, Stanford, California, pp. 74–106.
Refereed Journal Articles
- Apps P, Kabátek J, Rees R & van Soest A. 2016. Labor supply heterogeneity and demand for child care of mothers with young children. Empirical Economics. 51(4): 1641–1677.
- Cherlin A, Ribar D & Yasutake S. 2016. Non-marital First Births, Marriage, and Income Inequality. American Sociological Review. 81(4): 749–70.
- Moffitt RA & Ribar DC. 2016. Rasch Analyses of Very Low Food Security among Households and Children in the Three City Study. Southern Economic Journal. 82(4): 1123–1146.
- Rapoport B & Thibout C. 2017. Why Do Boys and Girls Make Different Educational Choices? The Influence of Expected Earnings and Test Scores. Economics of Education Review. DOI: 10.1016/j.econedurev.2017.09.006
- Ribar D. 2014. How to improve participation in social assistance programs. IZA World of Labor. 2014: 104.
- Ribar D. 2015. Is Leaving Home a Hardship? Southern Economic Journal. 81(3): 598–618.
- Ribar D. 2015. Why Marriage Matters for Child Wellbeing. The Future of Children. Princeton Brookings. 25(2).
- Ribar D & Swann C. 2014. If at First You Don’t Succeed: Applying for and Staying on the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program. Applied Economics. 46(27): 3339–50.
- Sofer C & Thibout C. 2015. Is labour division by gender efficient? An analysis from two Time Use surveys. Economie et Statistique. No. 478–479–480: 273–304.
- Suziedelyte A & Zhu A. 2015. Does early schooling narrow outcome gaps for advantaged and disadvantaged children? Economics of Education Review. 45: 76–88.
- Zhu A & Bradbury B. 2015. Delaying School Entry: Short- and Longer-Term Effect on Mothers’ Employment. Economic Record. 91(293): 233–246.
Intergenerational Disadvantage: Learning about Equal Opportunity from Social Assistance Receipt
Deborah A. Cobb-Clark, Sarah C. Dahmann, Nicolás Salamanca, Anna Zhu (2017)
Teenage Daughters as a Cause of Divorce
Jan Kabátek, David C. Ribar (2017)
The Effect of Non-Permanent Contractual Employment on Financial Hardship
Neha Swami (2017)
The Bilateral Relationship between Depressive Symptoms and Employment Status
Melisa Bubonya, Deborah A. Cobb-Clark, David C. Ribar (2017)
Women’s Homelessness: International Evidence on Causes, Consequences, Coping and Policies
Guy Johnson, David C. Ribar, Anna Zhu (2017)
Child Age and Gender Differences in Food Security in a Low-Income Inner-City Population
Robert A. Moffitt, David C. Ribar (2017)
Women's Investment in Career and Household Division in Labor
Catherine Sofer, Claire Thibout (2016)
The Effect of Changing Financial Incentives on Repartnering
Hayley Fisher, Anna Zhu (2016)
Not Your Lucky Day: Romantically and Numerically Special Wedding Date Divorce Risks
Jan Kabátek, David Ribar (2016)
A Short Note on Discrimination and Favoritism in the Labor Market
Nicolas Salamanca, Jan Feld (2016)
Mental Health and Productivity at Work: Does What You Do Matter?
Melisa Bubonya, Deborah A. Cobb-Clark, Mark Wooden (2016)
Food Insecurity and Homelessness in the Journeys Home Survey
Nicolas Herault, David C. Ribar (2016)
Maternal Employment Trajectories and Caring for an Infant or Toddler with a Disability
Anna Zhu (2016)
Parenting Style as an Investment in Human Development
Deborah A. Cobb-Clark, Nicolas Salamanca, Anna Zhu (2016)
Why Do Boys and Girls Make Different Educational Choices? The Influence of Expected Earnings and Test Scores
Benoît Rapoport, Claire Thibout (2016)
Happy Birthday, You’re Fired! The Effects of an Age-Dependent Minimum Wage on Youth Employment Flows in the Netherlands
Jan Kabátek (2015)
A Longitudinal Analysis of Violence and Housing Insecurity
Timothy M. Diette, David C. Ribar (2015)
The Effectiveness of Fiscal Stimuli for Working Parents
Henk-Wim de Boer, Egbert L. W. Jongen, Jan Kabatek (2015)
Childhood Homelessness and Adult Employment: The Role of Education, Incarceration, and Welfare Receipt
Deborah A. Cobb-Clark, Anna Zhu (2015)
Supplying Slot Machines to the Poor
Melisa Bubonya, David P. Byrne (2015)
A Family Affair: Job Loss and the Mental Health of Spouses and Adolescents
Melisa Bubonya, Deborah A. Cobb-Clark, Mark Wooden (2014)
A Journey Home: What Drives How Long People Are Homeless?
Deborah A. Cobb-Clark, Nicolas Herault, Rosanna Scutella, Yi-Ping Tseng (2014)
- Intergenerational Disadvantage: Learning about Equal Opportunity from Social Assistance Receipt