Ordering Journeys Home Survey Data
Journeys Home is a rich source of longitudinal data that documents the living and housing challenges faced by many Australians.
The available data covers all six waves of the study and is open to researchers working at Australian or international institutions.
Four different data releases are available.
Researchers based at an Australia institution will receive:
- the majority of the survey data (some variables, such as location, industry and debt, are confidentialised)
- selected variables derived from RED equivalent to questions asked in the income section of the survey, and
- selected variables derived from RED relating to the time spent on income support.
Researchers applying from international institutions will receive the majority of the Journeys Home dataset, as well as data on the total income* of respondents.
Overseas applicants should note that the dataset does not include any variables specifically related to the receipt of income support payments or any variables derived from RED. This decision is the result of legal requirements determined by the Commonwealth.
* Total income is determined by adding the following components:
- earnings from work
- other income sources
- income support, and
- family tax benefits.
The Limited Release includes all general release data (excluding variables derived from RED), and additional unconfidentialised variables, including:
- location at SA1 level
- the full set of children information, and
- all data items on debt.
Users of the Limited Release dataset must demonstrate that they can meet the security requirements outlined in the fact sheets below, while also justifying their need for data at this detailed level.
The Limited Release does not include any variables specifically related to the receipt of income support payments, nor does it include any variables derived from RED.
This release contains the full set of Journeys Home data. It provides:
- all limited release data
- variables derived from RED equivalent to questions asked in the income section of the survey
- variables derived from RED relating to the time spent on income support, and
- variables derived from RED relating to suspensions, marital status and income.
Users of the Limited+RED Release dataset must demonstrate that they can meet the security requirements outlined in the fact sheets below, while also justifying their need for data at this detailed level and their need for access to RED-derived data.
Please read the following Fact Sheets for information about ordering and accessing the data from Journeys Home:
- Fact Sheet 1: Licensing Arrangements, Eligibility and How to Apply ((PDF 221.8 KB))
- Fact Sheet 2: The Roles and Responsibilities of Authorised Users and Supervisors ((PDF 237.3 KB))
- Fact Sheet 3: Providing Research Material to DSS ((PDF 193.2 KB))
If you would like to apply for one of the release files listed above, please forward completed copies of both the Deed of Licence and Deed of Confidentiality to JH@dss.gov.au. You do not need to send the originals.