Introduction to the HILDA Survey
via Microsoft Teams
Associate Professor Nicole Watson
This 2.5 hour workshop provides an introduction to the Household, Income and Labour Dynamics in Australia (HILDA) Survey. It will be run via Teams. The training is free to attend but registration is essential.
- Tuesday 14 March 2023, 10:00 am-12:30 pm AEDT (BOOKED OUT)
- Thursday 23 March 2023, 2.00 pm-4.30 pm AEDT (BOOKED OUT)
- Tuesday 16 May 2023, 10:00 am-12:30 pm AEST (BOOKED OUT)
- Tuesday 15 August 2023, 10:00 am-12:30 pm AEST (BOOKED OUT)
- Thursday 24 August 2023, 2:00 pm-4.30 pm AEST (BOOKED OUT)
- Tuesday 17 October 2023, 10:00 am-12:30 pm AEDT (BOOKED OUT)
For further details and to register for a date, please follow the register link below.
The workshop aims to give participants an overview of the HILDA Survey, the datasets and documentation. It will cover the following:
- Sample design, following rules and fieldwork
- Survey content
- Response rates
- Datasets and conventions
- Using the documentation and finding variables
- Imputation, weights and data quality
- Creating your own datasets
The training will be in a lecture-style format and there will be plenty of opportunities to ask questions.
The course will be presented by Associate Professor Nicole Watson. She has been part of the HILDA Survey Project team for more than 20 years at the Melbourne Institute, The University of Melbourne. She has been responsible for a range of survey activities during that time, including the sample design, weighting, imputation and survey management.
If you would like to receive notifications of other training courses, please subscribe to the HILDA mailing list.
If you are interested in this workshop but are not able to attend you might find this article helpful: 'Finding your way around the HILDA Survey data' in the December 2021 edition of the Australian Economic Review.