Introduction to Panel Data Analysis
The Spot Building, 198 Berkeley St Carlton, VIC 3053
Associate Professor Nicole Watson
A 4-day hands-on introductory course on panel data analysis will be held in Melbourne on 20th – 23rd June 2022.
This course is designed for people familiar with panel data, including how to clean data and set it up for analysis, but now want to understand various statistical and econometric techniques that take full advantage of the panel nature of the data.
The topics covered in the course include:
- Longitudinal descriptive statistics, such as cross-wave correlations, conditional means and transition probabilities
- Regression analysis, including using pooled data, or cross-sectional techniques using lagged data
- Instrumental variables in panel data
- Second- (and longer) differences
- Fixed effects
- Random effects
- Binary response models
- Categorical response models
Data from the Household, Income and Labour Dynamics in Australia (HILDA) Survey will be used during the course and participants will be required to apply for, and be approved to use, the General Release 18 datasets prior to the course. The course will take several published papers using the HILDA Survey data with a view to reproducing some of the estimates presented by the authors. The course will be taught in Stata.
The course will be presented by Professor Robert Breunig, who is a researcher at the Crawford School of Public Policy at the Australian National University. His primary applied research interests are in analysing individual and firm behaviour, evaluating government tax and transfer programs and analysing large data sets.
To participate in this course, you will need to:
- Apply for and be approved to use HILDA General Release 18
- Have completed Getting Started: Analysing HILDA with Stata course OR have experience with the HILDA Survey data and be familiar with Stata
- Be familiar with regression theory
Places are limited. Registrations close 5pm Thursday 9 June 2022 unless all of the places are taken earlier. Cancellations after 5pm Thursday 9 June 2022 will not be refunded.
If you would like to receive notifications of future training courses, please subscribe to the HILDA mailing list.
Other training currently available:
Introduction to the HILDA Survey (Held virtually via Zoom)
Getting started: Analysing HILDA with Stata (Held in person)