Getting started: Analysing HILDA with Stata
The Spot Building, 198 Berkeley St Carlton, VIC 3053
Associate Professor Nicole Watson
A 3-day hands-on introductory HILDA Survey training course will be held in Melbourne on 15th – 17th June 2022. An optional half-day introduction to Stata will also be provided on the afternoon of 14th June for those that have not used Stata before.
This course is designed for people who are interested in using the HILDA Survey data but have not yet done so. It will take a descriptive research problem and go through all the steps necessary to answer the research questions involved.
The training will cover the following topics:
- Accessing the data
- Finding the right variables
- Visualising the data
- Merging household and individual data
- Dealing with missing values
- Using imputed values
- Creating analysis variables from HILDA data
- Applying weights
- Generating descriptive statistics in the panel context
- Understanding data patterns in the panel context
- Answering research questions with the data
- Solving problems that arise when using Stata to analyse HILDA data
The course will be presented by Professor Robert Breunig and Associate Professor Nicole Watson.
Professor Robert Breunig is a member of the Crawford School of Public Policy at the Australian National University. His primary applied research interests are in analysing individual and firm behaviour, evaluating government tax and transfer programs and analysing large data sets.
Associate Professor Nicole Watson is part of the HILDA Survey team at the Melbourne Institute: Applied Economic & Social Research, The University of Melbourne. She has been responsible for a range of HILDA Survey activities during the life of the survey, including the sample design, weighting, imputation and survey management.
To participate in this course, you will need to:
- Apply for and be approved to use HILDA General Release 18
- Have some experience writing syntax in a statistical software, such as Stata, SAS or SPSS
Places are limited. Registrations close 5pm 31st May 2022 unless all of the places are taken earlier. Cancellations after 5pm 31st May 2022 will not be refunded.
If you would like to receive notifications of future training courses, please subscribe to the HILDA mailing list.
Other training currently available:
Introduction to the HILDA Survey (Held virtually via Zoom)
Introduction to Panel Data Analysis (Held in person)