Economics of Education and Child Development:
Research publications produced over the past three years by the Melbourne Institute’s Economics of Education and Child Development research program.
Refereed Journal Articles
- Cobb-Clark D & Jha N. 2016. Educational Achievement and the Allocation of School Resources. Australian Economic Review. 49(3): 251–271.
- Cobb-Clark D, Kassenboehmer S, Le T, McVicar D & Zhang R. 2015. ‘High’-School: The Relationship between Early Marijuana Use and Educational Outcomes. Economic Record. 91(293): 247–266.
- Cobb-Clark D, Kassenboehmer S, Le T, McVicar D & Zhang R. 2015. Is There an Educational Penalty for Being Suspended from School? Education Economics. 23(4): 376–295.
- Faulkner N, Martin A & Peyton K. 2015. Priming political trust: Evidence from an experiment. Australian Journal of Political Science. 50(1): 164–173.
- Friedman-Sokuler N & Justman M. 2016. Gender streaming and prior achievement in high school science and mathematics. Economics of Education Review. 53(August): 230–253.
- Jha N. 2015. Late Start with Extra Schooling: The Effect of Increase in School Entry Age and Preschool Provision. Economic Record. 91(s1): 54–77.
- Jha N & Polidano C. 2015. Long-Run Effects of Catholic Schooling on Wages. BE Journal of Economic Analysis & Policy. 15(4): 2017–2045.
- Justman M & van der Beek K. 2015. Market forces shaping human capital in eighteenth-century London. Economic History Review. 68(4): 1177–1202.
- Michaelsen M & Haisken-DeNew J. 2015. Migration magnet: the role of work experience in rural-urban wage differentials. IZA Journal of Migration. 4: 21.
- Polidano C & Tabasso D. 2014. Making It Real: The Benefits of Workplace Learning in Upper-Secondary Vocational Education and Training Courses. Economics of Education Review. 42(October): 130–146.
- Polidano C, Tabasso D & Tseng Y-P. 2015. A second chance at education for early school leavers. Education Economics. 23(3): 358–375.
- Polidano C & Vu H. 2015. Differential labour market impacts from disability onset. Health Economics. 24(3): 302–317.
- Renzaho A, Houng B, Oldroyd J, Nicholson J, D’Esposito F & Oldenburg B. 2014. Stressful life events and the onset of chronic diseases among Australian adults: findings from a longitudinal survey. European Journal of Public Health. 24(1): 57–62.
- Ryan C. 2014. Youth Allowance and the Financial Position of Young Australians. Australian Economic Review. 47(1): 115–123.
Nudges in Education: What Works?
Miles Tidmarsh, Paul H. Jensen (March, 2016)
Impact of the Australian Higher Education Funding Reforms
Chris Ryan (August, 2014)
- Nudges in Education: What Works?
High School Choices and the Gender Gap in STEM
David Card, A. Abigail Payne (2017)
Keep Calm and Consume? Subjective Uncertainty and Precautionary Savings
Barbara Broadway, John P. Haisken-DeNew (2017)
Do Childhood Experiences of Parental Separation Lead to Homelessness?
Julie Moschion, Jan C. van Ours (2017)
The Power of Self-Interest: Effects of Education and Training Entitlements in Later-Life
Cain Polidano, Justin van de Ven, Sarah Voitchovsky (2017)
Secondary School Teacher Effects on Student Achievement in Australian Schools
Chris Ryan (2017)
Unawareness and Selective Disclosure: The Effect of School Quality Information on Property Prices
John Haisken-DeNew, Syed Hasan, Nikhil Jha, Mathias Sinning (2017)
Economic Research and Education Policy: Project STAR and Class Size Reduction
Moshe Justman (2016)
Long-Term Outcomes from Australian Vocational Education
Cain Polidano, Chris Ryan (2016)
Parental Investments and Child Development: Counting Games and Early Numeracy
Chris Ryan (2016)
What Happens to Students with Low Reading Proficiency at 15? Evidence from Australia
Chris Ryan, Cain Polidano (2016)
Student and Staff Attitudes and School Performance
Brendan Houng, Moshe Justman (2016)
The Attitudes of Boys and Girls towards Science and Mathematics as they Progress through School in Australia
Chris Ryan (2016)
What Can We Learn from Student Attitudes or International Achievement Tests?
Kyle Peyton, Chris Ryan, Justin van de Ven (2016)
Vocational Education and Training: A Pathway to the Straight and Narrow
Nikhil Jha, Cain Polidano (2016)
Impacts from Delaying Access to Retirement Benefits on Welfare Receipt and Expenditure: Evidence from a Natural Experiment
Umut Oguzoglu, Cain Polidano, Ha Vu (2016)
How Principals Affect Schools
Mike Helal, Michael Coelli (2016)
Achievement Effects from New Peers: Who Matters to Whom?
Duncan McVicar, Julie Moschion, Chris Ryan (2016)
Gendered Selection of STEM Subjects for Matriculation
Moshe Justman, Susan J. Méndez (2016)
Where Are the Returns to Lifelong Learning?
Michael Coelli, Domenico Tabasso (2015)
Sibling Health, Schooling and Longer-Term Developmental Outcomes
Chris Ryan, Anna Zhu (2015)
The Effect of Compulsory Engagement on Youth Crime
Nikhil Jha (2015)
If You Get What You Want, Do You Get What You Need? Course Choice and Achievement Effects of a Vocational Education and Training Voucher Scheme
Duncan McVicar, Cain Polidano (2015)
Evidence on Credit Constraints, University Attendance and Income Contingent Loans
Buly A. Cardak, Chris Ryan (2014)
NAPLAN Scores as Predictors of Access to Higher Education in Victoria
Brendan Houng, Moshe Justman (2014)
Enforcing Compulsory Schooling by Linking Welfare Payments to School Attendance: Lessons from Australia’s Northern Territory
Moshe Justman, Kyle Peyton (2014)
Late Start with Extra Schooling: The Effect of School Entry-Age Increase and the Introduction of Preparatory Year
Nikhil Jha (2014)
- High School Choices and the Gender Gap in STEM