Books and Book Chapters
Research texts from around the world.
- Manzoni, A. and Mooi-Reci, I., ‘Measuring Sequence Quality’ in Ritschard, G., and Studer, M. (eds), Springer.
- Ravazzini, L. and Kuhn, U., 2018, 'Wealth, savings and children among Swiss, German and Australian families' in Tillman, R., Voorpostel, M., and Farago, P, (eds.) Change and inertia in contemporary Switzerland - Understanding Swiss society over time, Springer.
- World Bank, 2018, Fair progress?: Educational mobility around the world. Equity and development, World Bank, Washington DC.
- Callander, E.J. and Schofield, D.J., 2017, 'A closing window of opportunity - When does multidimensional poverty become chronic? A longitudinal study of Australians' in Kraeger, P., Cloutier, S., Talmage, C., (eds), New Dimensions in Community Well-Being, Springer International Publishing, pp. 115-128.
- Kristoffersen, I., 2017, 'Evaluating Comparability of Survey Data on Subjective Well-being', in Gaël Brulé, and Filomena Maggino (eds), Metrics of Subjective Well-Being: Limits and Improvements, Springer, Cham., pp. 157-184.
- OECD (2017), 'Multiple barriers to employment: The faces of joblessness in Australia', Chapter 2, in Connecting People with Jobs: Key Issues for Raising Labour Market Participation in Australia, OECD Publishing, Paris.
- Peetz, D., Murray, G., and Poorhosseinzadeh, M. in 'Why do women at the top of organizations do worse', in D. Peetz and G. Murray (eds.) Women, Labor Segmentation and Regulation: Varieties of gender gaps, Palgrave MacMillan, pp. 175-191.
- Horsfall, B., and Dempsey, D., 'Grandfathers in Australia: The Gendered Division of Grandparent Care', in A. Buchanan and A. Rotkirch (eds), Grandfathers: Global Perspectives (Palgrave Macmillan Studies in Family and Intimate Life), Macmillan, London, pp. 147-164.
- Baxter, J., Hewitt, B., and Rose, J. 'Marriage', in G. Heard and D. Arunachalam (eds.) Family Formation in 21st Century Australia , Springer Netherlands, pp. 31-51.
- Evans, A, 'Entering a Union in the Twenty-First Century: Cohabitation and 'Living Apart Together'', in G. Heard and D. Arunachalam (eds.) Family Formation in 21st Century Australia , Springer Netherlands, pp. 13-30.
- Gong, C., and Kendig, H. (in press). 'Ageing and Social Change in Australia', in H. Kendig, P. McDonald and J. Piggott (Eds.) 'Population Ageing and Australia’s Future', Canberra, ANU Press for the Academy of Social Sciences in Australia.
- Gray, E., 'Patterns of Contraceptive Use', in G. Heard and D. Arunachalam (eds.) Family Formation in 21st Century Australia , Springer Netherlands, pp. 123-140.
- Gray, E., 'Repartnering', in G. Heard and D. Arunachalam (eds.) Family Formation in 21st Century Australia , Springer Netherlands, pp. 101-121.
- Heard, G., and Arunachalam, D., 'Australians' Desire for Children', in G. Heard and D. Arunachalam (eds.) Family Formation in 21st Century Australia , Springer Netherlands, pp. 141-158.
- Hewitt, B. and Baxter, J., 'Relationship Dissolution', in G. Heard and D. Arunachalam (eds.) Family Formation in 21st Century Australia , Springer Netherlands, pp. 77-99.
- Lillard, D.R., ‘Smoking in Australia’, in D.R. Lillard and R. Christopoulou (eds), Life-Course Smoking Behavior: Patterns and National Context in Ten Countries (pp. 15-28). Oxford University Press, Oxford, 2015.
- Organisation for Economic Co-operation and development (OECD), Investing in Youth: Latvia , OECD Publishing, Paris, France, 2015.
- Organisation for Economic Co-operation and development (OECD), Tackling Harmful Alcohol Use, Economics and Social Policy , OECD Publishing, Paris, France, 2015.
- Ulichny, J., Ambrey, C.L., and Fleming, C.M., 'Social Connectedness and the Declining Life Satisfaction of Australian Females', in S. Moore (ed.) Contemporary Global Perspectives on Gender Economics , IGI Global, Hershey, USA.
- Weinberg, M.K., and Cummins, R.A., 'The Distribution of Quality of Life in Australia', in W. Glatzer, L. Camfield, V. Moller and M. Rojas (eds.) Global Handbook of Quality of Life , Springer Netherlands, pp. 609-624.
- Bray, J.R., 'Changes in Inequality in Australia and the Redistributional Impacts of Taxes and Government Benefits', in A. Podger and D. Trewin (eds.) Measuring and Promoting Wellbeing: How Important is Economic Growth? , Australian National University Press, Canberra, Chapter 18.
- Buchler, S., Chesters, J., Higginson, A. and Haynes, M., 'Adult Learning in Australia: Predictors and Outcomes', in H.P. Blossfiled, E. Kilpiakonen, D. Vona de Vilhena and S. Buchholz (eds.) Adult Learning in Modern Societies: An International Comparison from a Life-Course Perspective , Edward Elgar Publishing, Gloucestershire, United Kingdom, pp. 98-118.
- Clarke, A., Flèche, S., and Senik, C., 'The Great Happiness Moderation', in A. Clark and C. Senik (eds.) Chapter 2: Happiness and Economic Growth: Lessons from Developing Countries , Oxford University Press, UK.
- Eid, M., and Kutscher, T., 'Statistical Models for Analyzing Stability and Change in Happiness,, in K.M. Sheldon and R. E. Lucas (Eds.), Stability of Happiness: Theories and Evidence on Whether Happiness can Change (pp. 261-297), Academic Press Elsevier, London, United Kingdom .
- Organisation for Economic Co-operation and development (OECD), 'Chapter 2. Sharing the Pain Equally? Wage Adjustments during the Crisis and Recovery - Futher Material', Annex of Chapter 2 of the OECD Employment Outlook 2014, OECD Publishing, Paris.
- Potts, J. and Shehadeh, T., 'Compensating Differentials in Creative Industries and Occupations: Some Evidence from HILDA', in G.Hearn, R. Bridgstock, B. Goldsmith and J. Rodgers (eds.) Creative Work beyond the Creative Industries: Innovation, Employment and Education , Edward Elgar Publishing, Gloucestershire, United Kingdom, pp. 47-60.
- Wooden, M., 'Working Time and the Quality of Life', in A.C. Michalos (ed.) Encyclopedia of Quality of Life and Well-Being Research , Springer, Dordercht, Netherlands, pp. 7,198-7,203.
- Patulny, R. and Pini, B., 'Counting Men: Quantitative Approaches to the Study of Men and Masculinities', in B. Pini and B. Pease (eds.) Men, Masculinities and Methodologies , Palgrave Macmillan, pp. 115-128.
- Smyth, B., Baxter, J., Fletcher, R. and Moloney, L., 'Fathers in Australia: A contemporary snapshot', in David W. Shwalb, Barbara J. Shwalb, Michael E. Lamb (eds.), Fathers in Cultural Context, Routledge, Taylor & Francis Group, New York and Hove, pp. 361-382.
- Stehlik, D., 'Social Work Practice with Drought-Affected Families: An Australian Case Study', in M. Gray, J. Coates and T. Hetherington (eds.) Environmental Social Work , Abigdon, Oxon: Routledge, pp. 135-155.
- Chesters, J. and Western, J., 'Impact of the GFC on Income and Earnings in Australia', in C. Suter and M. Herkenrath (eds.) World Society in the Global Economic Crisis , Zurich: World Society Foundation.
- Lynam, T., Langridge, J., Langston, A. and Maru, Y., 'A Bayesian Network Approach to Investigating Climate Change and Commodity Price Change Impacts on Human Well-Being: A Case Study of Employment from Queensland, Australia', in J. Palutikof, S.L. Boulter, A.J. Ash, M. Stafford Smith, M. Parry, M. Waschka and D. Guitart (eds.) Climate Adaptation Futures , Wiley, Chapter 31.
- Smyth, B.M., Baxter, J.A., Fletcher, R.J & Moloney, L.J., 'Fathers in Australia: A Contemporary Snapshot'. in D.W. Shwalb, B.J. Shwalb and M.E. Lamb (eds.) Fathers in Cultural Context , Routledge, New York.
- Wood, G., Ong, R. and Dockery, A.M., 'The Long-Run Decline in Employment Participation for Australian Public Housing Tenants: An Investigation', in A. Marsh and K. Gibbs (eds.), Housing Economics, Volume 5: Government, Policy And Contemporary Developments , Sage Publications, United Kingdom.
- Apps, P. and Rees, R., Public Economics and the Household , Cambridge University Press, United Kingdom.
- Drago, R. and Wooden, M., 'Work Hours Mismatch in the United States and Australia', in K. Christensen and Schneider (eds.), Workplace Flexibility: Realigning 20th-Century Jobs for a 21st-Century Workforce , Cornell University Press, New York, pp. 262-275.
- Vosko, L., Managing the Margins: Gender, Citizenship, and the International Regulation of Precarious Employment , York University, Toronto.
- Wood, G. and Nygaard, C.A., 'Housing Equity Withdrawal and Retirement: Evidence from the Household, Income and Labour Dynamics in Australia Survey (HILDA)', in S.J. Smith and B.A. Searle (eds.), The Blackwell Companion to the Economics of Housing: The Housing Wealth of Nations, Wiley-Blackwell, West Sussex, pp. 257-278.
- Wood, G., Ong, R. and Stewart, M., 'Housing Taxes and the Supply of Private Rental Housing', in M. Stewart (ed.), Housing and Tax Policy , Australian Tax Research Foundation, Melbourne, pp. 163-180.
- Ziguras, S. and Stricker, P., 'Labour Market Transitions in Australia: Employment, Flexibility and Security in a Liberal Welfare Regime', in R.J.A Muffels (ed.), Flexibility and Employment Security in Europe: Labour Markets in Transition , MPG Books Ltd, Cornwall, pp. 281-305.
- Daly, A. and Cole, K., 'Changing Transitions: Developments in the Labour Market and Education for Australian Youth Since the 1980s', in J. Corbett, A. Daly, H. Matsushige and D. Taylor (eds.), Laggards and Leaders in Labour Market Reform: Comparing Japan and Australia, Routledge, Oxon, pp. 223-239.
- Dockery, A.M., 'Terrorism, Tourism, Wellbeing and Sense of Security: The Case of Australia', in C. Pforr and P. Hosie (eds.), Crisis Management in the Tourism Industry: Beating the Odds? , Ashgate Publishing Ltd, Surrey, pp. 107-130.
- Hewitt, B., Who Gets Divorced in Australia? Gender, Social Determinants and Initiation of Separation , Lambert Academic Publishing, Koln.
- Messinis, G., 'Overeducation and Overskilling in Australia: Second Generation Greek-Australians and Italian-Australians', in E. Close, M. Tsianikas and G. Couvalis (eds.), Greek Research in Australia: Proceedings of the Biennial International Conference of Greek Studies 2007 , Flinders University Press, Adelaide, pp. 233-250.
- Velamuri, M. and Stillman, S., 'The Impact of Crime Victimisation on Individual Well-Being: Evidence from Australia', in P.S. Morrison (ed.), Joint Labour, Employment and Work and Australian Labour Market Research Workshop Conference, Victoria University of Wellington, Wellington, pp. 583-595.
- Watson, N. and Wooden, M., 'Identifying Factors Affecting Longitudinal Survey Response', in P. Lynn (ed.), Methodology of Longitudinal Surveys , John Wiley and Sons, Chichester, pp. 157-179.
- Wooden, M. and Drago, R., 'The Changing Distribution of Working Hours in Australia', in J. Corbett, A. Daly, H. Matsushige and D. Taylor (eds.), Laggards and Leaders in Labour Market Reform: Comparing Japan and Australia , Routledge, Oxon, pp. 67-81.
- de Vaus, D., Gray, M., Stanton, D. and Qu, L., 'The Financial Consequences of Divorce For Later Life', in K. Van den Bosch and P.A. Kemp (eds.), Social Protection In An Ageing World , Intersentia, Oxford, pp. 257-278.
- Masterman-Smith, H. and Pocock, B., Living Low Paid: The Dark Side of Prosperous Australia , Allen and Unwin, New South Wales.
- Wilson, K., Brown, M and Cregan, C., 'Job Quality and Casual Employment: Evidence from the HILDA Survey', in B. Pocock, C. Provis and E. Willis (eds.), 21st Century Work: High Road or Low Road? Proceedings of the 20th Conference of the Association of the Association of Industrial Relations Academics of Australia and New Zealand , vol 1, refereed papers, pp. 577-585.
- Baxter, J., 'White Australians and Male Breadwinners: The Role of Immigration and Employment Policy in Shaping Domestic Labour Patterns in Australia', in S. Huang, B. Yeoh and N. Rahman (eds.), Asian Women as Transnational Domestic Workers , Marshall Cavendish International, Singapore.
- Headey, B. and Wooden, M., 'Economic Wellbeing and Subjective Wellbeing: The Effects of Income and Wealth', in Lenore Manderson (ed.), Rethinking Well-being: Essays on Health, Disability and Disadvantage , Australian Public Intellectual Network, Curtin University, Perth, pp. 91-109.
- Headey, B. and Wooden, M., 'Income, Wealth and Joblessness: Insights from the HILDA Survey', in Peter Dawkins and Michael Stutchbury (eds.), Sustaining Prosperity , Melbourne University Press, Melbourne, pp. 25-58.
- de Vaus, D.A., Diversity and Change in Australian Families: A Statistical Profile , Australian Institute of Family Studies, Melbourne.
- de Vaus, D.A., 'Australian Families', in B.N. Adams and J. Trost (eds.), Handbook of World Families , Thousand Oaks, Sage Publications, London.
- de Vaus, D.A. and Gray, M., 'Family Transitions in Childhood', in D.A.de Vaus, Diversity and Change in Australian Families: A Statistical Profile, Australian Institute of Family Studies, Melbourne, pp. 132-140.
- Tsumori, K., The Road to Work: Freeing Up the Labour Market , Centre for Independent Studies Policy Monograph no. 64, St Leonards, Sydney.
- Pocock, B., The Work / Life Collision , Federation Press, Annandale, Sydney.
- Watson, I., Buchanan, J., Campbell, I. and Briggs, C., Fragmented Futures: New Challenges in Working Life , Federation Press, Annandale, Sydney.